Felton, Tom Biography
biography of Felton, TomThomas Andrew Felton
22 September 1987, Epsom, Surrey, England, UK
Tom Felton has been acting since he was 8 years old at the suggestion of an actress friend of his family who recognized Felton's theatrical qualities. Felton met with an agent, and two weeks later, after auditioning with over 400 other children, he landed an international commercial campaign and went abroad to work. A talented singer, he started singing in a church choir at the age of 7 and has been a member of four choirs at school. He declined an offer to join the Guildford Cathedral Choir. He is a keen sportsman enjoying football (soccer), ice skating, roller blading, basketball, cricket, swimming, and tennis. After working on _Anna and the King (1999)_ (qv) with Jodie Foster, Tom received his big break in _Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)_ (qv) as Draco Malfoy, school boy rival to the titular character as played by Daniel Radcliffe. Tom managed to film the part of Draco in all eight "Harry Potter" movies while also having an active life outside the magical world it created. In between shoots he filmed independent horror movies _The Disappeared (2008/I)_ (qv), _13Hrs (2010)_ (qv), and _The Apparition (2012)_ (qv) with Twilight's 'Ashley Greene (I)' (qv). It was directly after completing his filming on "Harry Potter" that he landed his roles in _Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)_ (qv) and _From the Rough (2012)_ (qv). His newest projects are _Therese Raquin (2013)_ (qv), _Fangs of War (2014)_ (qv)and _Attachment (2013)_ (qv). In between acting gigs, Tom still manages times with his music. He is one of the founding owners and talent of Six String Productions, a recording company devoted to signing young musical artists overlooked by the major recording industry.
- Often plays villainous or mischievous characters
- He has three elder brothers: Jonathan, Ashley, and Chris.
- He enjoys football (soccer), ice-skating, roller-blading, basketball, cricket, swimming, and tennis, but his first love is fishing. He was introduced to it through one of his brothers. His biggest catch so far has been a 37.14-pound common carp. He fishes using the catch-and-release system so as not to harm any fish. He hopes to study fisheries management in college after the filming of _Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)_ (qv).
- His elder brother was his chaperon on the set of the earlier Harry Potter movies.
- He likes hip-hop and acoustic-based music claiming 'Jack Johnson (XVIII)' (qv), 'John Mayer (VII)' (qv), 'Jason Mraz (I)' (qv), and 'Eminem' (qv) as inspiration.
- Hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books prior to being cast as Draco Malfoy.
- Attended Howard of Effingham School, a comprehensive school located in Surrey. He left school at the age of 16 in May 2004 after completing his GCSEs. When he finishes filming the Harry Potter films, Tom hopes to follow in the footsteps of his elder brother and study fishing management at university.
- Bleaches his hair blonde for the Harry Potter films. His natural hair color is light brown.
- as a boy, he owned a pet chinchilla named Stanley.
- Has said he would enjoy studying fishery management in college, but admitted in interviews during the fall of 2009, that he would prefer to continue acting.
- Loves shopping in New York. He loves clothing from the Air Jordan collection.
- Has a female Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Timberland, nicknamed Timber.
- Was considered one of the 55 faces of the future by Nylon Magazine's Young Hollywood Issue (May 2010).
- The London Sun claims that he is related to John Proctor, one of the accused witches in the 17th century Witch Trials in Salem, Massachusetts. Proctor's son Thorndike Proctor married a Hannah Felton. The elder Proctor appears in as a character in 'Arthur Miller (I)' (qv)'s play _The Crucible (1996)_ (qv), and is portrayed in the film by 'Daniel Day-Lewis' (qv). Tom himself, of course, plays a wizard in the Harry Potter films.
- In 2010, Tom along with a few friends launched Six String Productions. A self-described "Indie label with a passion for new and vibrant talent" the company is devoted to allowing artists to direct how their music is handled. Tom originally became a part of the music scene in 2008 when he released a single, acoustic only number entitled "Silhouettes in Sunset" via YouTube. His most recent album, "In Good Hands," was released in the spring of 2009. Earlier albums (under the pseudonym of "Feltbeats") were released in 2008 under the titles "Time Well Spent" and "All I Need."
- In spite of what Draco is like, I really like school, and I miss it a lot when I'm filming. I've a fair idea what I want to do for my GCSEs, I will definitely be doing music.
- I really tried out for the part of Harry Potter, but they ended up picking me for the part of the enemy of Harry. Actually it is really fun playing the bad kid because it just has so many interesting qualities to it. And 'Daniel Radcliffe' (qv) and I get along really well off set so it's really fun filming.
- [on playing a bad guy in Harry Potter's film]: I think it's more fun, there are a lot of goodies in the film and not a lot of baddies, so I like to be in the baddie group.
- So those of you that think filming is all glamor, you're so wrong! Really, only the premieres are the glitzy bits.
- 'Jason Isaacs' (qv) always looked after me very well. 'Alan Rickman' (qv), 'Michael Gambon' (qv), 'Helena Bonham Carter' (qv) - they're all wonderful people and very helpful and inspiring. I bored Alan Rickman for hours about Robin Hood. It was one of my favorite films when I was younger and I asked how he did certain scenes. He was very patient and charming. It took me six years to work up the courage to ask him. Helena gave me advice about crying in a scene. She said tell your brain you're not allowed to cry and then it's more likely to happen. No one was difficult. You hear stories about actors who demand their coffee to be served at a certain temperature but on Harry Potter if you wanted a cup of tea you had to get it yourself.
- I'll take my clothes off - whatever the job requires.
- It's a hard industry to have a long career regardless of what films you've been in but fingers crossed I can continue in it. Whether it's acting, directing or writing, I want to be involved in the film industry for the rest of my life.
- (July 2003) Filming the third Harry Potter Film: _Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)_ (qv) as Draco Malfoy.
- (April 2004) Filming _Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)_ (qv) as Draco Malfoy.
- (March 2006) Filming _Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)_ (qv) as Draco Malfoy.
- (May 2008) Filming _Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)_ (qv) as Draco Malfoy.
- (March 2010) Filming _Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)_ (qv) & _Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)_ (qv) as Draco Malfoy.
- "France Soir" (France), December 2004, "Nous Sommes Tous Très Soudés!"
- "The Los Angeles Times" (USA), 25 November 2010, pg. D6, by: Geoff Boucher, "He's ready to wear some different hats"
- "Calgary Sun" (Canada), 28 November 2002, by: Louis B. Hobson, "Hated by All Harry Kids"
- "YAM interview" (UK), 2002, Vol. 11, Iss. 22, pg. 55, by: YAM, "Meet The boy Behind the villian"
Watch Online Related Videos
Felton, Tom Videos