Lynch, Evanna Biography
biography of Lynch, EvannaEvanna Patricia Lynch
Ev Evy Eva
16 August 1991, Termonfeckin, Ireland
Evanna Patricia Lynch is an Irish actress. Born in the town of Termonfecken in Ireland, she is one of four children to Donal and Marguerite Lynch. Her acting career began in 2007 when she competed in an open audition against nearly 15,000 girls, and won the coveted role of Luna Lovegood in the "Harry Potter" movie franchise. She appeared in four Harry Potter films and became a main character in the final two films in 2010 and 2011. She also voiced her character in their tie-in video games. She continues to pursue acting and does charity work for organizations such as the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Ireland and The Harry Potter Alliance, of which she is a member of the Board of Advisors.
Harry J. Chong, edited and revised by L. Neira
- Her very long, blonde hair
- Her gentle voice
- On January 23rd, 2006, she discovered she had beaten out over 15,000 girls, from all over the United Kingdom and Ireland, for the much coveted role of Luna Lovegood in _Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)_ (qv).
- In 2003, aged eleven years old, Evanna was disappointed that she would miss the release of the novel _Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)_ (qv) as she had been hospitalized. However, the hospital released her for a morning on the day of the launch where a local bookstore arranged for her to receive a copy that was signed by author J.K. Rowling. On the day, Evanna was dressed in a Harry Potter t-shirt and having scrawled 'I love Harry Potter' down her arms. She had also painted her nails blue with Harry Potter written on every second nail and the golden snitch on every other one as well as sporting painted-on black Harry Potter glasses on.
- She is a cat-lover who owns a cat named Luna. When Luna has kittens, she named one of them Dumbledore. Her other cat, Crookshanks, died in 2006.
- She was a fan of the Harry Potter novels long before being cast in the films. She claims to have read the books several times.
- Her father flew her to London to the open audition for the part of Luna Lovegood in _Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)_ (qv). Her mother did not believe she had much of a chance of winning the role so initially refused to let her apply.
- [September 2006] She is in third year at Our Lady's College, Greenhills, an all girls' Catholic school located in Drogheda, Ireland. During her primary school years, she attended Cartown National School.
- She lives with her father Donal, mother Marguerite and elder sisters Emily and Máiréad and younger brother Patrick in Termonfeckin, County Louth, Leinster, Ireland.
- As a younger child, she continuously wrote to 'J.K. Rowling' (qv) . In one such letter, she commented about how much she would love to act in a Harry Potter film but doubted this would happen as she lived in a sleepy little place called Termonfeckin, where nothing ever happened. And to Evanna's surprise, Rowling wrote back, "Don't be too hard on Termonfeckin; it does have a brilliant name! And I come from a very sleepy place.".
- Is a vegetarian.
- Made the pair of radish earrings worn by her character Luna Lovegood in _Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)_ (qv).
- Attends a summer camp in Dublin, Ireland called CTYI (Centre for Talented Youth of Ireland) which was specially set up for the academically talented children in Ireland.
- She was given a necklace with a hare and moon pendant by J.K. Rowling.
- Speaks English, Gaelic and French.
- Fan of Team Starkid and close friends with many members.
- Is currently living in Los Angeles.
- Battled with anorexia for 2 years (2003-2005).
- [on her sudden fame] It was mad. I went into school and all of my Year were at the windows and they were all waving when I came in. And then all these camera people starting coming into the school and all the other girls were outside waving and I stayed inside and they didn't notice me. I think they had dyed my hair at that point so it was different and I had to have security people.
- [on why she is similar to her character Luna] People like her because she's like a breath of fresh air because in the fifth book it gets so dark and Harry's always cross. And then every time Luna comes in all the tension goes and she makes you laugh because she's so funny and really honest. I don't know how much I'm like her, there are some similarities but I'm more determined than her.
- [on why she loves the Harry Potter novels] Sometimes I'm stressed and I'm sick of things and I need to forget about them for a while, so in Harry Potter you're taken to this wonderful imaginary world where everything is so different. But also the main characters are completely real and modern so you can relate to them.
- [on her parents' feelings about her audition for the role of Luna in the Harry Potter films] "Well, my Mum didn't want me to go. She thought I didn't have a hope. And then I told my Dad and he thought I should go because he knew I really wanted it, so he brought me."
- On auditioning for the role of Luna - I really wanted to go, because if I didn't I never would have known, and I'd have been annoyed with myself. They had to pick someone, so why couldn't I have a go? It's like in the script, when Harry's trying to encourage some students to be in Dumbledore's Army, he says, "Think of all the great wizards in history, and if they can do it, why can't we?" It was kind of like that.
- [on receiving the role of Luna] I had to keep it quiet for days and pretend everything was normal which was hard considering my dream had just come true. When I went home that day I had to study for my French test as if everything was normal.
- [about acting with the other cast] It was this feeling the whole time like I shouldn't be here among all these stars and professionals. I was trying to keep my distance because I wanted to watch everyone. But they want you to feel at home and be part of it, and it became normal very quickly.
- (February 2006) Filming Scenes for Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix
- (March 2008) Filming scenes for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- (May 2009) Filming scenes for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1)
- (July 2012) Los Angeles, CA, USA: She is scheduled to play Fiona Carrick-Smith in the upcoming 2013 indie crime drama film Monster Butler, alongside her Harry Potter co-star Gary Oldman. The film is based on the life of British serial killer and thief Archibald Hall.
- "Asbury Park Press" (USA), 28 November 2010, Vol. 132, Iss. 28, pg. E2, by: Alex Biese, "'Potter' Around the World"
Watch Online Related Videos
Lynch, Evanna Videos