McBurney, Simon Biography
biography of McBurney, SimonSimon Montagu McBurney
25 August 1957, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England, UK
5' 6 1/2"
- Artistic director of the theatre company Complicite (formerly "Theatre de Complicite").
- He was awarded a 1998 'Laurence Olivier' (qv) Theatre Award for Best Theatre Choreographer of the 1997 season for "The Caucasian Chalk Circle", performed at the Royal National Theatre: Olivier Stage.
- His portrait was taken by 'Richard Avedon' (qv) for inclusion in the Metropolitan Museum of Art's special exhibition, "Richard Avedon: Portraits", and appears in the book of the same name.
- His play, "Mnemonic", performed at the London's Riverside Studios was awarded the 1999 London Critics Circle Theatre Award (Drama) for Best New Play.
- He was nominated for the Sydney Edwards Award for Best Director at the 2003 London Evening Standard Theatre Awards for "The Elephant Vanishes" performed at the Barbican Theatre.
- Former partner of actress 'Jacqueline McKenzie (I)' (qv).
- He was awarded the O.B.E. (Officer of the order of the British Empire) in the 2005 Queen's New Years Honours List for his services to drama.
- Was nominated for Broadway's 1998 Tony Award as Best Director (Play) for a revival of 'Eugène Ionesco' (qv)'s "The Chairs".
- Has been a best friend of 'Emma Thompson (I)' (qv) since they were teenagers.
- Ranked #31 in the 2008 Telegraph's list "the 100 most powerful people in British culture".
- (April 1998): Directed "The Chairs", a play by 'Eugène Ionesco' (qv) - John Golden Theater, New York City, USA.
- His directing credits with theatre company Complicite's (where he is artistic director) include : "The Street of Crocodiles", "Out of a house walked a man...", "The Three Lives of Lucie Cabrol", and "The Caucasian Chalk Circle" and Shakespeare's "Measure For Measure".
- (October 2002): Directed "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui" by 'Bertolt Brecht' (qv) - Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts, Pace University, New York City, New York, USA.
- (February 2006): Played "Duke of Vienna" in 'William Shakespeare (I)' (qv)'s "Measure for Measure" - National Theatre, London, England, UK.
- (1992) He co-wrote "The Streets of Crocodiles", and directed the play (Theatre De Complit production) at the Cottlesloe National Theatre and Tour with 'César Sarachu' (qv), 'Matthew Scurfield' (qv) and 'Annabel Arden (II)' (qv) in the cast.
- (1994) He co-wrote, acted, and directed "The 3 Lives of Lucie Cabrol" at the Tour and Riverside Studios with Lilo Baur in London, England.
- (October 2008): Directed "All My Sons", a play by 'Arthur Miller (I)' (qv) (Gerald Schoenfeld Theater, New York City, New York, USA).
- (October 1988-January 1989) He acted in the Almedia Theatre production season in the plays: "A Minute Too Late"; "Ave Maria"; "Miss Donnithorne's Maggot"; "Escape for Tuba"; "Food of Love"; "What is All This Dancing?"; "The Visit"; "My Army"; "Please, Please, Please"; "The Phantom Violin"; "Anything for a Quiet Life"; "Rainmaker in Gebb" and "The Right Size in Que Sera"; with 'Annabel Arden (II)' (qv), 'Marcello Magni' (qv), 'Celia Gore-Booth' (qv), 'Tim Barlow (I)' (qv), 'Kathryn Hunter' (qv), Gerard McBurney, 'Clive Mendus' (qv) and 'Nick Phillipou' (qv) in the cast.
- (January 2007) He is based in London, England.
- (July 2008) London, England
- "The Independent Arts & Books" (UK), 23 January 2009, Iss. 6951, pg. 10 - 11, by: Christina Patterson, "'It's chaos. You start with a bomb...' [The Big Interview]"
- "International Herald Tribune" (USA), 15 October 2004, Iss. 37824, pg. 12, by: Mary Blume, "Collisions, chaos and complicity"
- "Cineaste" (USA), 2001, Vol. XXVI, Iss. 4
Watch Online Related Videos
McBurney, Simon Videos