Sunal, Kemal Biography
biography of Sunal, KemalAli Kemal Sunal
Þaban Davaro Inek Saban
11 November 1944, Küçükpazar, Istanbul, Turkey
3 July 2000, Istanbul, Turkey (heart attack)
Born in 1944 Istanbul, Turkey. Graduated from Vefa High School, Fatih, Istanbul. Sunal acted in many popular films, although he began his artistic career in the theater. His first play was called, "Unwilling Doctor" and he later worked at the Devekusu Kabare Theatre with Ulvi Uraz. Although Sunal had minor roles at first, after 1973 he was highly acclaimed for his roles in movies with large casts. He won the Antalya Film Festival's Golden Orange Award in 1977. He contributed greatly to Turkish cinema with his successful acting, including his roles in such movies as "Hababam Sinifi" (Outrageous Class), "Kapicilar Krali" (King of Janitors), "Salako" (Moron), "Inek Saban" (Shaban the Cow) and "Davaro". Sunal's latest role was in Sinan Cetin's border comedy "Propaganda"(1999). He also made a TV commercial. Kemal Sunal died suddenly of a heart attack on July 3 at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport. he had just boarded the plane for Trabzon, where he was to take part in the filming of director Ali Ozgenturk's "Balalaika" (2000). His death caused a wave of sorrow across Turkey. President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit and Minister of Culture Istemihan Talay and other politicians sent messages of condolence expressing their sorrow.
Kemal Sunal was born in Kucukpazar, Istanbul on the 11th of November 1944. He was considered by many to be the greatest comedy actor ever in Turkey. He got famous with the role of "Inek Saban" in Hababam Sinifi (1975). He acted in many films. Mainly, he had the role of "Saban" who was a young and foolish boy. He died on the 3rd of July 2000 while boarding the airplane to act in "Balalaika". Even still, his films are watched with great appreciation and they never lose attention. He is the father of Ali Sunal.
- 'Gül Sunal' (1965 - 3 July 2000) (his death); 2 children
- Frequently portrayed not-so-smart, naive and pure country boy "Saban" (which later became a nickname for him)
- His son, Ali Sunal, is also an actor, known for his parts in TV series. Father and son acted together in Kemal Sunal's last film, Propaganda; which was one of the early ones of Ali. Kemal Sunal was an officer in charge of a border-gate and Ali Sunal was the officer under Kemal Sunal's command.
- Nuran Turan. _Kemal Sunal Çocukken._ Istanbul: Önel Yayinevi, 2000. ISBN 9757248924
- Kemal Sunal. _TV ve Sinemada._ Istanbul: Om Yayinevi, 2001. ISBN 9756827793
- Feriha Karasu Gürses. _Kemal Sunal._ Istanbul: Sel Yayincilik, 2001. ISBN 9755701524
- Osman Özsoy. _Kemal Sunal Fenomeni._ Istanbul: Iyiadam Yayinlari, 2002. ISBN 975675219X
Watch Online Related Videos
Sunal, Kemal Videos