Varela, Leonor (I) Biography
biography of Varela, Leonor (I)Leonor Varela Palma
29 December 1972, Santiago, Chile
5' 6 1/2"
Leonor Varela was born on December 9, 1972, in Santiago de Chile, Chile. Daughter of 'Francisco Varela (II)' (qv) and 'Leonor Palma' (qv), her family fled to Costa Rica leaving behind the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet. Subsequently residing in Germany, USA, and France, where Varela studied. In the '90s she appears in the Chilean soap _"Tic Tac" (1997)_ (qv), and in other French and Europeans productions like _Pony Trek (1995) (TV)_ (qv), _"Sous le soleil" (1996)_ (qv), _Le ciel est à nous (1997)_ (qv), _"A Legend to Ride" (1997)_ (qv), _"Le juste" (1996)_ (qv), or _Bouge! (1997)_ (qv). Her career in Holywood began in 1998, when she joined the cast of _The Man in the Iron Mask (1998/I)_ (qv) when she starred opposite 'Leonardo DiCaprio' (qv), and she appeared in _Jeremiah (1998) (TV)_ (qv) opposite 'Patrick Dempsey (I)' (qv). The following year (1999), she played the title character in the ABC TV movie "Cleopatra" (1999) (TV) opposite her future fiancé 'Billy Zane' (qv) and 'Timothy Dalton' (qv) She appeared in _The Tailor of Panama (2001)_ (qv) as Marta and in _Texas Rangers (2001)_ (qv) as Perdita opposite 'Ashton Kutcher' (qv). In 2002 she appeared as the fanged vampire princess Nyssa in the action film _Blade II (2002)_ (qv) opposite 'Wesley Snipes' (qv) and 'Kris Kristofferson (I)' (qv) and directed by 'Guillermo del Toro' (qv). After that came _Paraíso B (2002)_ (qv) as Gloria and in _Pas si grave (2003)_ (qv) as Angela. Varela also had a short recurring role in the Fox Television show _"Arrested Development" (2003)_ (qv) as the original Marta. She was nominated for the Ariel Award in 2005 in the category of Best Actress for _Voces inocentes (2004)_ (qv). She also had a non-recurring role in _"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004)_ (qv). In 2005 she appeared playing Adela in _Americano (2005)_ (qv), and her following projects included _Goal II: Living the Dream (2007)_ (qv) as the journalist Jordana Garcia, _Where God Left His Shoes (2007)_ (qv) with 'John Leguizamo' (qv) and the TV series produced by 'Jennifer Lopez (I)' (qv) _"Como ama una mujer" (2007)_ (qv). In the 2008 Sundance Film Festival she screened _Sleep Dealer (2008)_ (qv) and the 'Larry Bishop' (qv)'s _Hell Ride (2008)_ (qv), opposite 'Michael Madsen (I)' (qv) and 'Eric Balfour' (qv) and produced by 'Quentin Tarantino' (qv).
- She is fluent in English, Spanish, French and Italian.
- Formerly engaged to 'Billy Zane' (qv), her co-star from the miniseries _"Cleopatra" (1999)_ (qv).
- Beat out 35 other actresses to play the title role in _"Cleopatra" (1999)_ (qv).
- Appeared on the cover of thirteen separate editions of the Maxim magazine, each naming a different North American city as the greatest on Earth.
- Daughter of famous Chilean biologist and philosopher 'Francisco Varela (II)' (qv) (1946-2001).
- After graduating from the Ecole du Passage and the Conservatoire Superieur de Paris, she was ready for the big screen.
- Her family fled to Costa Rica, leaving behind the brutal dictatorship of 'Augusto Pinochet' (qv).
- As a child, she got to see her homeland another time when her family returned to Chile.
- Her stay in Chile was brief, and she soon found herself in Germany, then back in Chile, and finally in France in her late teens.
- She is half Chilean on her father's side and French on her mother's side.
- She lived in Paris from the age of 14.
- Has 3 siblings, Alejandra, Javier and Gabriel.
- Was featured as #11 in Maxim Magazine's "Hot 100 of 2002" supplement. (2002)
- Has actively participated in various ecological causes like "Save the Whales Again!".
- Has been a vegetarian since the age of 12.
- Her favorite actresses are 'Meryl Streep' (qv) and 'Cate Blanchett' (qv).
- Has a French bulldog called Monroe, or simply Mo.
- Ranked #69 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006" special supplement (2006).
- Friend of the Mexican director 'Guillermo del Toro' (qv).
- Ex-girlfriend of photographer 'Anthony Mandler' (qv).
- Her favorite place in California is Carbon Beach, Malibu.
- Member of NGOs for the conservation of the environment like WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature), Global Green USA, Oceana (Osean Conservation Group) and Centro Ballena Azúl (Chile).
- Support the candidate's campaign of Chilean president 'Michelle Bachelet' (qv).
- One of her favorite writers is 'Milan Kundera' (qv).
- In a relationship with 'Eric Balfour' (qv) .
- Her maternal grandfather Daniel Palma Robledo (born in the north of Chile in October 1915), a former Communist Party member until 1951, was kidnapped by DINA, Pinochet's political police, on August 4, 1976, and to this day is a missing person.
- Gave birth to her 1st child at age 39, a son Matteo V. Akoskin in November 2012. Child's father is her boyfriend, 'Lucas Akoskin' (qv).
- 2007: Appeared in a commercial for Martini with 'George Clooney' (qv)
- Appeared in 'Marc Anthony (I)' (qv)'s music video "Tragedy"
- TV commercial for Hot by Falabella (2008)
- TV commercial for Basement by Falabella (2007)
- In this business, if you don't have the capacity to step back and have some sort of relativity about things, you're screwed.
- I don't need jewels and cars. It's about the delicacy of the way I'm handled.
- I'm not good with limitations. I tend to like to find my own. It hurts sometimes, but it's good. I'm little extreme in that sense-the middle ground is not my forte.
- I don't believe in nudity for nudity's sake, but it's really beautiful when it's done well, when it's within a story. I'm very comfortable with my body. I grew up mostly in France, where nudity is not taboo. It's not this hypocritical thing where we go, "No!" and then it's "Oh, yes!" When we strip away the clothes, the jewelry, that's who we really are. I walk around naked in my house.
- (January 2009) Filming a documentary about Aysén and its natural beauty in Chile.
- (June 2008) Led huge Anti-whaling Rally on the Eve of the 2008 Meeting of the International Whaling Commission in Santiago, Chile.
- "Movieline" (USA), August 2000, Vol. X!, Iss. 11, pg. 62-63, by: Dennis Hensley, "Profile: Leonor Varela"
- "Movieline" (USA), April 2000, Vol. 11, Iss. 7, pg. 13, by: Wolf Schneider, "Hype"
- "MAXIM" (USA), June, 1999, pg. 88, by: Dan Winters, "Snake Charmer"
- "Stuff" (USA), December 2005, Iss. 73, pg. 132, by: Yann Dandois, "Muy Caliente: Chile"
- "Maxim" (USA), April 2002, Vol. 6, Iss. 4, pg. 104-112, by: Antoine Verglas, "Blood Lust"
- "Playboy" (USA), January 2002, Vol. 49, Iss. 1, pg. 131, by: staff, "The Year in Sex"
- "In Style" (USA), April 2000, Vol. 7, Iss. 4, pg. 408-414, by: Photos by Keith Lathrop, "Night Light"
- "In Style" (USA), April 2000, Vol. 7, Iss. 4, pg. 408-410+412+414, by: Joseph Amodio, "Night Light"
- "LUN" (Chile), 10 March 2012
- "Caras" (Chile), 28 October 2011
- "Cosmopolitan" (Chile), September 2010
- "Elle" (Chile), May 2002
- "Maxim" (USA), April 2002, Vol. 6, Iss. 4
Photos of Varela, Leonor (I)
Images Search Powered By Google
Watch Online Related Videos
Varela, Leonor (I) Videos